Saturday, August 29, 2009

Meggan Wright

I think that computers and technologies are important parts of the educational experience because it helps individuals think broader. The incorporation of information technology in the education sector is important to meet the challenges presented by new trends, especially with global communication of knowledge. New technologies and computers opens up prospects for learning that can be customized to students. I believe that its is essential that students become familiar with the concepts and use of information technology in order for them to be prepared for their future careers. Some of my concerns as to how teachers and students use computers are that students may go into inappropriate websites. Also, some teachers may not know how to teach their students how to use computers. According to chapter one, "it is possible for students to hack into school networks." To avoid this I will not allow students to use my computer. I agree with the issues raised in chapter one because I was not fully aware of the many uses of technology. One of the terms that I learned was cognitive load which means, how many chunks of information a person can think about at once.

In my classroom, I will use computers as a cognitive tool. I will include computers in my teaching to promote analytical thinking and information management skills among my students. I want my students to be able to better acquire, process, and present information using the computer as a tool. In this class, I hope to learn about different tool soft wares. For example, different internet websites, visualizations and spreadsheets software. I hope to achieve these goals because I do not want to be the teacher who asks her student how to cut and paste.


I grew up in Jamaica where my family did not have a house phone until the year 2000. I did not know how to use computers until I moved to the United States in 2002. When I moved to the United States, I was excited to learn about the new technologies but I struggled throughout my learning. Now, I feel like I have learned all the basics. In the future, I will become a middle school principal and I believe that I will use some of the skills that I will learn in the class.

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome that you were able to learn the computers instead of just growing up with them! That will probably help you later when you are trying to teach students who dont have basic computer skills. You can relate to them more and have an easier time teaching! im glad to hear someone else wouldnt mind being a part of the middle school education system since most people shy away from it!

    ReplyDelete